Since the release of iOS 14 and its impact on how Facebook receives and processes conversion, Facebook has been recommending the use of its Conversion API for tracking conversions as opposed to relying on the Facebook Pixel.
This article will show you how to send a Facebook Conversion API event (such as Lead or Purchase) when someone is added to your Mailchimp List. This should lead to more accurate conversion tracking.
1. Set up The MailChimp Trigger
Once you’ve copied the Zap, you’ll need to update the Mailchimp trigger with your own Mailchimp details.
- Make sure the Trigger Event is New Subscriber.
- Connect your Mailchimp account
- Choose the Mailchimp Audience (List) that new subscribers get added to after they interact with your Facebook Ad
2. Setup the Facebook Conversion Action
- Make sure the Facebook Conversion action is selected
- Action Event: Choose the event that’s most appropriate. If someone signs up to your newsletter via Mailchimp, then it’ll be a Send Lead Event, but if someone ends up on your List after purchasing something, then you might want to make it a Send Purchase Event.
- You will have to connect your Facebook Account during this step
- Choose System Generated as the Action Source then select your Facebook Business account and the Pixel you use for tracking.
- In the Event Info area, I used the Mailchimp User ID in the Event ID fields, this should prevent duplicates.
- Grab the Test Event Code found in the Facebook Event Manager
- Map the Mailchimp fields to the customer information fields.
3. How to Test Your Mailchimp Facebook Conversion
Finally, test your setup. You should be able to see the following test event in the Facebook Test Event area.
Also be sure to check your event history after a couple of days.